Saturday, September 09, 2006

Pretty Pretty

Many of you who read my blog live far away and haven’t had a chance to see the dresses I’ve made for Danielly up close and personal.

I started smocking in May 2003 when Danielle was almost 5 months old. I saw a sign-up sheet for smocking classes at a local fabric shop. I didn’t even own a sewing machine at the time, but love little smocked dresses and wanted to learn. It was a two-part class. Part one was learning basic stitches (cable and wave stitch) – part two was learning bullion roses and to see how well we did on our homework. The class did not cover dress construction. I called the instructor ahead of time and asked if she would construct a 6-month bishop for me to buy at the first class. I wanted to do an actual project Danielle could wear. The elderly lady who taught the class was a very good smocker, but had a hard time explaining to a novice, like myself, how to finish constructing a bishop since I had no sewing experience whatsoever. I used my mom’s machine and muddled through it the best I could with handwritten instructions on how to finish it.



Danielle wore this for her 6-month-old picture. The pattern was a copy my instructor gave me. I have no idea the original source.



I loved to smock, but hated the construction part. The second bishop I made was pre-assembled 6-month-old bishop I bought on E-bay. I adapted the pattern from a picture I saw. Once again, I was frustrated trying to finish the construction. I had no idea what I was doing. Danielle never actually wore this dress because of an awful personal experience at a smocking shop (not the fabric shop where I learned the basic stitches). I took time off work one day to get help with the construction part of the placket (a very complicated procedure for someone who has never sewn before). The owner of the shop was very rude and proceeded to be very critical of everything that was wrong with my dress. I had put the placket in backwards (left over right, instead of right over left). She hadn't wanted to help me because she felt that was the responsibility of my original instructor (even though the class I paid for was not a dress construction class). By the time I left, I was near tears. It's amazing after that awful experience, I picked up a needle again. The dress is still unfinished in the closet. Maybe I will have a granddaughter who will wear it one day.



Okay. I didn’t need another hobby, but I had a little girl I wanted to dress up. It was a big dilemma as to whether I would invest in smocking (especially after my previous experience). It’s not a cheap hobby. There was a sewing machine to buy, a pleater, dress patterns, smocking plates, fabric, lace, and buttons. I really had to think about this before I jumped headfirst into something I would get bored with and give up. I already had huge stash of cross-stitch patterns that would never get finished even if I quit my job and lived to be 100. How much did I really want to do this? After much debate with myself (and encouragement and full support from a loving husband), I signed up for a bishop construction class at a sewing machine shop thanks to my mom who told me about the class. Now, I had to buy a sewing machine. I legitimized the purchase that I needed one anyway (need = want). I played hooky from work twice for the two-part class, which was only offered during regular business hours.



The finished 18-month bishop. Little did I realize, Ellen McCarn’s patterns run large. Danielle was over 2-1/2 years old before this fit her well.



The next purchase was my Super Amanda Jane pleater I bought for myself before Christmas 2004. I got a bonus that year from work and started collecting back issues of Australian Smocking and Embroidery. It was through this magazine I learned what I know now about smocking and dress construction. My husband has never said a negative word about the smocking magazines or patterns I have bought. Not one. He’s always been very supportive in everything I do.



Dress pattern and smocking plate “Morgan” from Australian Smocking and Embroidery (AS&E) 56. Worn for her first birthday January 2004.





Dress pattern “Cherry Surprise” AS&E 42
Smocking plate “Snowflake” AS&E 61 (adapted)
Worn for Easter 2004.





Dress pattern and smocking plate “Baby Blue” AS&E 47. Worn for Mother’s Day 2004. The start of the matching Mother/Daughter dress tradition. When I was picking out the fabric for these dresses, I met a woman and her 15-year-old daughter picking out fabric for their matching dresses. The mom had been making their matching Mother's Day outfits since her daughter was born. I asked the daughter how she felt about the tradition since she was no longer a little girl. She told me she didn't mind a bit as long as she has a say in the fabric and dress pattern. She actually thought it was kind of cool to have one-of-a-kind matching outfits. I hope my daughter will feel the same when she reaches that age.





Romper pattern and smocking plate “Old Friends” AS&E 36.
Worn Summer 2004.





Dress pattern and smocking plate “Precious Coral” AS&E 44. (Substituted store-bought roses for bullion roses because I was still sewing Christmas Eve before church services.) Worn Christmas 2004.





Dress pattern and smocking plate “Star of the Show” AS&E 48. Worn Easter 2005. I had to take Good Friday off from work to finish the dress. The matching jacket didn't get finished. Why, oh why don’t I have better time management skills? Oh yeah, I remember – I have two kids and a full-time job.





Dress pattern “Baby Blue” (Adapted with long-sleeves from Ellen McCarn’s bishop dress.)
Smocking plate from Sew Beautiful 96 (Adapted for a bishop dress.)
I taught myself how to do picture smocking with Ellen McCarn’s book – Picture Smocking.
I also used a wonderful article from Sew Beautiful, Fall 1996, “How to Match Plaids for a Smocked Bishop”.

My son was feeling left out and wanted me to make him something. His vest and bow tie were made from Simplicity 7030 with an appliquéd smocked bear.



I never finished the buttonholes on the vest or dress. Both kids were literally either sewn or safety-pinned in the outfits for 2005 Christmas Eve service.





Dress pattern Chery Williams bishop. Smocking pattern adapted from a purchased Rosalina dress. Worn Easter 2006 (see previous post "Made with Love"). It's a good thing I made a replica of the borrowed dress because the day I returned it to my friend, Danielle saw me leave the house with it. She cried because she thought I was giving away her pretty dress. I had to pull hers out of the closet and show her both dresses at the same time before she would calm down. Bless her little heart.





Bishop pattern “Baby Blue” – Once you find a great bishop pattern stick with it! I’ve found not all bishops are created equal. Bishop plate from AS&E 14. (See previous post "Soccer and Smocking". It really doesn't look like a "clown dress", does it?)



Adult pattern and plate are from AS&E 39 “Morning Glory”



I can’t take credit for the dresses Danielle wore for her second or third birthdays. These were either borrowed or bought. I had to make a few concessions because I always overextend myself.




I wish I had more time to make more dresses, but I don’t. I hate to think there will only be a few more years when she won’t mind wearing smocked dresses. I have two antique Drink and Wet Uneeda dolls I can smock for when that happens – at least the dolls won’t outgrow what I make.


My little left-handed "smocker". Trust me, no needles were involved, just a practice piece of pleated fabric and lots of pretending to be a Mommy for her "babies".

13 Comments:

Blogger Von said...

Jen, what a wonderful record of your adventures in smocking!! None of us have all the time we'd like to have to indulge in our passions. Love your mother-daughter dress tradition. :D

10:18 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

I am so proud of you! Shame on the woman who owned the shop. I have sewn all my life but have recently learned to smock. I can't imagine anyone unsulting my work. I am an accomplished quilter and I make sure I NEVER look at anyone projects in a negative way. I wonder what that woman thinks now that you are such an accomplished seamstress. Your dresses are beautiful!

12:24 AM  
Blogger mommy-gal said...

I really enjoyed your blog--I think what you did with the black widow was inspired! I found your site by googling "bishop dress construction." I am a beginning smocker, and I too have had bad experiences at the local smocking shop! What's the deal?:) Anyway, you've encouraged me to continue learning to smock for my little girl. Thanks!
C'helle

10:41 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Gorgeous!
Love finding smocking things on the web.

http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/search/label/heirloom%20dresses

2:21 PM  
Blogger terahreu said...

Beautiful! I happened upon your blog after doing a google search.

I also smock and LOVE it. I also did the Morgan and it was just too cute.

I plan on recording my dresses as soon as they arrive from India. Thanks for sharing!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Boyett-Brinkley said...

You have gorgeous children. I surfed onto your blog looking for information on smocking. I didn't attempt it when my daughter was small but I am drawn to it now that I have a granddaughter. You examples are lovely and a definite inspiration.

7:03 PM  
Blogger MrsWithers said...

I really enjoyed your stories about these gorgeous dresses. I don't understand the mean spirited attitudes of someone promoting and selling the equipment to make something then making a customer feel less than adequate when they are searching for help. That was a hurtful experrience. You get that dress out and finish it! If for no other reason than to satisfy yourself that you can make a mockery of that mean woman! Some special child will enjoy it.

6:48 AM  
Blogger MrsWithers said...

I really enjoyed your story. It was unfortunate that the woman who is selling and promoting things you might use in your hoby was so mean spirited. You get that dress out and finish it, if for no other reason than to reaffirm your new skills! Some lucky child will benefit and you can put that hurtful situation behind you.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I found your blog today and have had such fun seeing your beautiful smocking. I love them all but the blue Easter Dress brought tears to my eyes it is my favorite!!! I used to have a smocking shop 20 yr ago and taught classes. Now I only smock for new grand babies.Still have my inventory to pick from, fabrics, patterns and plates. Those were the good old days, my younger daughters had beautiful smocked clothes. I have them in a closet, my oldest grand daughter has worn some of them, hoping they will be worn again in the future. I could not part with them.
I can see your love for smocking so keep on stitching and I look forward to seeing new projects
Colleen

10:16 AM  
Blogger Memaw's memories said...

The Star of the Show was the first dress I made from my first AS&E magazine. I have made Morgan more times than I can count as gifts. And I made two Old Friends dresses from chambray.

I love it when others use the same patterns I do and the different fabrics they choose.

I originally smocked for my now 30 year old daughter. I kept all the dresses I made for her and her two daughters are wearing them and then get passed on to my other granddaughter.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

I enjoyed your stories so much. I have been smocking for 27 years but have just begun to want to learn to construct garments. I am very inspired by your success and think I will give it a try myself.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Prairie Harvest Herbs said...

Jen,

I have just discovered smocking on the internet and would love to try it but have no idea where to start. I would love any advice you could offer.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Your pictures add so much. I really enjoy looking at the handmade children's clothes that people like you share on blogs. It is inspiring to me because I used to sew more than I do now. I linked to your post from my site, mysmockeddress.com.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home