Sunday, May 21, 2006

Something Wicked this way comes

Saturday, we left the kids with my family and took a quick trip to Atlanta to see the traveling Broadway musical Wicked. At the end of January I had hoped to see on Broadway in NYC, but things didn't work out. When I found out the traveling troupe would be in Atlanta, I asked for tickets as my birthday present.

I grew up reading L. Frank Baum's Oz books and remember watching The Wizard of Oz on broadcast television every year (before nearly every household had a VCR and had a library of movies to watch at will). Wicked the musical is based on Gregory Maguire’s book, which I have not yet read but intend to soon. It tells the story of Glinda and Elphaba (a.k.a. the Wicked Witch of the West) when they were girls and overlaps with the well known Wizard of Oz. The musical was nothing less than spectacular – flying monkeys on stage and everything! The Fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta is …well fabulous. Inside you are given the illusion you are in an Arabian courtyard under a canopy of twinkling stars. The picture below gives the interior of the theater little justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home