Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Happy Birthday to Us

My greatest birthday gift ever was the one I received 5 days after I turned 30 - my son.

Our birthdays were actually at the end of last month. Aden's party was at Chuck E. Cheese the weekend before his birthday since school would be over by the following weekend. We wanted as many kids to show up before everyone left for summer break. The kids had the times of their lives.

On Aden's actual birthday, Scott had just returned from a business trip to LA. I took the afternoon off to spend time with my husband and we baked Aden's cake together. Aden wanted a lemon cake, with blue frosting with the Superman symbol on it. Yeah, I could have bought a cake, but this was much more fun.

While I was busy stirring up a bottle of blue food coloring into 1-1/2 containers of frosting, Scott but his artistic talents to work. He found a picture of Superman's logo online and scaled the picture to fit the top of the cake. He used an exact-o knife to cut the paper around the "S". After I had frosted the cake, he laid the paper cut-out on the frosting and used writing frosting to do the outlines. As you can see by the edging, I've never taken a cake decorating class. One day I hope to enroll in a cake decorating class to add to my other hobbies.



Aden's face lit up the room when he saw his cake. Yeah, I could have bought a cake, but he was more excited over the one we made and to see his shining smile was worth taking off the afternoon (and having my fingers turn blue for two days from food coloring).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home