Thursday, November 23, 2006

Give Thanks

Thanksgiving Day was wonderful. We spent it at home, just the four of us (for most of the day as you will find out later). I was able to share one of my most unforgettable childhood memories with my children – The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade.

Growing up the youngest, I seldom got to choose what was watched on TV. It wasn’t often we watched the Macy’s Parade on Thanksgiving – either we were at someone else’s house, or they were at ours, or my brother won out on what got watched; but, I do remember being glued to the TV when the few years I was allowed to watch the parade. Now that I have children of my own, I want the Macy’s Parade to be our Thanksgiving family tradition. I misted up while watching Julie Andrews sing-speaking lyrics that goes with her new book "The Great American Mousical" co-authored with her daughter. (It's a pity her beautiful voice was ruined due to a botched surgery on her vocal chords.) I cheered with my children when we saw the balloons – Snoopy, Dora the Explorer, Scooby Doo, Big Bird, and SpongeBob Squarepants. I hummed along with the Laurie Berkner Band (my favorite children’s band since being introduced to them on Noggin). I smiled when Danielle twirled around like a ballerina when she saw the "Barbie 12 Dancing Princesses" float. Scott and I were in the kitchen getting dinner prepared when the “Man in the Red Suit” appeared almost precisely at 12:00. Of course we had to stop what we were doing and rush in the den to cheer for Santa. My eyes became puddles again.

When the kids get old enough to listen, stand still without running off, not complain about how long it’s taking, and be able to tolerate cold weather for hours, I want to go to New York to see the Macy’s Parade. I want to be at Herald’s Square in the thick of it. (I wonder how much tickets cost to VIP stadium seating in front of Macy’s??) It will probably be quite a while before the children will be able to fully comply with my request. I can wait as long as it takes. I don’t care how cold it is, or whether it’s raining or snowing. I want to see the Macy’s Parade in New York one day and be able to extend our stay long enough to see the tree lit at Rockefeller Center.

We had dinner at noon because Scott had to leave for Italy due to his second job. The children were sad, but to brighten their spirits we watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special and Mary Poppins (other staples from my childhood). After seeing Julie Andrews in the Macy’s Parade, I had to hear her beautiful voice when it was in its prime. Although it was a rather long movie for a 5-1/2 and almost 4 year old, it held their attention. I couldn’t help the tear trickle down my check during “Feed the Birds” and laughed and clapped to the beat as my children were kicking up their heels to “Step in Time”. Danielle danced around in circles to “Go Fly a Kite”, which got Aden and I off our feet and we all held hands spinning in circles until I was so dizzy I thought I’d be sick.

It was a wonderful day – including naps all around after we took Scott to the airport.

Tomorrow I will be at my family’s house helping them decorate for Christmas and bake cookies. It’s a little too early for me to completely deck our house out, but will bring out our crèche and wreath for Advent. Before we had children, I was given a lovely gift of Advent devotionals and cardboard ornaments for kids. Although I'm not ready to put up our tree, it’s time to start preparing for the true meaning of the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home