Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year y'all

The month of December stayed busy with the usual holiday activities: decorating the house, going to see Christmas lights at the zoo, Christmas pageant at daycare, pictures of the kids with Santa and baking cookies. Unusual December activities included hospitalizing my 75 year-old mother from Dec. 9th through the 14th for pneumonia and my siblings and myself taking time off from work to keep her in-home daycare running while she was recuperating. Therefore, Christmas cards were sent later than what I had liked (sorry to those of you who got the family newsletter via e-mail), the children's Christmas outfits weren't finished until the morning of the 24th (see picture: yep, made both outfits from scratch, including the bow-tie), and the first present wasn't wrapped until after Christmas Eve church service. And yet, somehow it all worked out - I love Amazon.com.

The kids (4-1/2 and almost 3) were up at the crack of dawn Christmas morning and were so excited. I really thought they would explode. Santa brought Aden a wooden train set, Matchbox car garage, robot, books, Play-Doh, and Aladdin DVD. Danielle got a dollhouse, wooden blocks, star builders, marble run, books, Play-Doh, Cinderella DVD, and a Care Bear. Scott got Frank Miller's Sin City and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns graphic novels, two Kohta Hirano's Hellsing manga collections, Rosencrantz & Gildenstern Are Dead, and The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) on DVD. I got a locket (addressed to: Beauty from: Beholder) subscription to Australian Smocking and Embroidery magazine, Quantz Flute Concertos CD, and an iPod. Santa must have thought I was a very good girl. This is what Santa managed to bring on his sleigh (wink, wink). Everyone got loads of other stuff from both sides of the family.

This week I've been reading Growing Up in Davie County: Reflections from One Hundred Years Ago by William Jamie Moore, edited by Jamie W. Moore. My friend in New York sent it to me. It's a collection of stories written by his grandfather and edited by his father. In the back, is a poem written by my friend entitled "Grandpa's study". This is truly one of the most touching gifts I have ever received. I am blessed to have so many wonderful friends like all of you who are reading this post. I cherish you all and the influence you have had on my life.

I hope 2006 brings all of you good health, joy, and prosperity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Von said...

Jen, this Christmas bishop is perfection!!! I really need to work on pleating plaid fabric - any hints on keeping it straight?

1:44 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Von,

I'll have to check which issues of Sew Beautiful and AS&E I used as a guide. Most bishop patterns have a curved neckline when cutting so the hem will be straight and not hike up on the sides. When doing plaid bishops, the neckline cuts have to be in a perfectly straight line. This will cause hikes in the hemline, which very few people will notice. When I get my magazines out of the closet the next time, I'll give you the specific issue numbers that I used.

Thanks for admiring my work.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home